Mayor Nadine Woodward delivered the keynote speech at the launch party and recognized SHBA’s leadership in the housing industry
Spokane, Wash. January 18, 2023—The Spokane Home Builders Association (SHBA) hosted its 75th anniversary and launch party at the Historic Flight Foundation last thursday night. More than 235 SHBA members celebrated the organization’s history of advocacy, education and community-building for the housing industry.
Organization leaders announced at the event that SHBA will lead a new, year-long community conversation called Building for the Future, which will focus on strategies for addressing the region’s growing housing crisis.
“SHBA members have been leading the housing industry since 1947 and it is our responsibility to continue to do so,” said Joel White, executive officer of Spokane Home Builders Association. “Our members have been instrumental in shaping the vibrancy of our community. We’re still pioneering and building for a future where the American dream of homeownership is possible for all Spokane residents.”
Spokane Mayor Nadine Woodward gave the keynote address at the event, which included a look back at the interwoven histories of the City of Spokane and SHBA over the past 75 years.
“As the Spokane Home Builders Association celebrates its 75th anniversary, the Building for the Future campaign is a year-long conversation on the solutions to Spokane County’s housing crisis, and the role of the building industry in accomplishing that task,” said Mayor Woodward, whose administration has prioritized actionable solutions for addressing the housing affordability challenges facing Spokane. “Our leaders need community support and leverage to take bold action. SHBA is poised for this role.”
The event also included recognition of former SHBA presidents and long-standing members, and 2023 Board members were inducted.
Members of the 2023 Board of Directors are:
- Sharla Jones (President), Greenstone
- Fred Anderson (1st Vice President), Compass Construction
- Jessie Zundel (2nd Vice President), Parr Lumber
- Titus Hug (Secretary), Hug Construction
- Brad Stevens (Treasurer), Washington Trust Bank
- Corey Condron (Past President), Condron Homes
- Deacon Band, Band Construction
- Tim Borg, Builders FirstSource
- Allen Dykes, Village Homes LLC
- Ryan Edens, D.R. Horton - Spokane
- Katie Getman, Katie Getman Design
- Nick Gilliland, Blasingame Insurance
- Ben McGerty, Hayden Homes
- Tyrell Monette, Huntwood Custom Cabinets
- Andrew Northrop, Spokane Hardware Supply, Inc.
- Caylin Novell, Windermere Manito, LLC
- Isaiah Paine, Republic Services
- Nick Scheel, CGR, Untamed Construction
- Sandra Teal, Compass Construction
Every year, SHBA recognizes and awards four members that demonstrated leadership in their fields and in the organization. The names of the 2022 award winners are:
- Corey Condron, Condron Homes - Builder of the Year
- Tyrell Monette, Huntwood Custom Cabinets - Remodeler of the Year
- Jessie Zundel, Parr Lumber - Associate of the Year
- Fred Anderson, Compass Construction - Volunteer of the Year
SHBA has a robust calendar for 2023, with several events and discussions focused on housing solutions and Building for the Future. Some of this year’s events include:
- Frame Your Future’s Workforce Camp and Construction Camp
- The Spokane Home and Garden Show
- Construction Career Days and Trades Nights at local schools
- The 19th Annual Fall Festival of Homes
- The 29th Annual Golf Tournament
- Networking events for professionals that are new to the housing industry
“Now, more than ever, we understand our responsibility as leaders in the housing industry,” said Jennifer Thomas, the public relations and government affairs director for Spokane Home Builders Association. “We’re leading the conversation around affordable housing by providing industry-driven solutions to today’s housing and workforce shortage. We’re looking forward to our best year yet.”
The Spokane Home Builders Association has been committed to protecting and promoting the housing industry since 1947. Serving seven Eastern Washington counties, SHBA is over 750 members strong. The members are professional home builders, architects, remodelers, suppliers, manufacturers, and sales and marketing professionals who believe every American deserves the opportunity of homeownership.